Frequently Asked Questions


Q  We show movies, TV, and other audiovisual content via DVD, Blu-Ray, download, stream, over the air broadcast, cable, or satellite TV. Do we still need a license to view or show it in public?
A  The content obtained in all those ways is meant for personal, private use only and is not meant for showing in public without permission from the rights holder. An Umbrella License may be needed when MPLC’s rights holders’ content is shown in public.
Q We are a private practice. Do we still need a public performance license?
A Yes. Any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered, such as a medical or dental office, requires a public performance license to show audiovisual content to its patients.
Q We are a nonprofit organization. Do we still need a public performance license?
A Yes. The U.S. Copyright Act applies equally to nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
Q Are discounts available?
A Yes. Reduced pricing is available for members of the American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD).
Q I already have a cable or satellite business package. Do I also need an Umbrella License?
A While cable and satellite business packages include public performance rights for some content (e.g., for live sports), the packages may not include public performance rights for all the content available in the package. The Umbrella License gives you the most coverage commercially available to fill the remaining gaps, thus protecting you from claims not covered by the rights included in a business package.
Q Our dental practice purchased the Cinema ProMed system. Do we still need a license?
A Yes. A license is required because you are enabling the performance by providing the hardware and the content.
Q Does the license cover our entire office?
A Yes. The Umbrella License allows for unlimited exhibitions in any room in your office. However, large clinics with several shared reception areas may require additional licenses.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.